Friday, October 10, 2014

30 LESSONS I HAVE LEARNT IN 30 YEARS


In December 2014, I’ll be thirty years and like Jesus, I’m just beginning. I've been reflecting over my life – the valleys, the mountains, the plateaus, the people, the mistakes, the achievements, the lessons and the future.

Here are thirty lessons I’ve learnt in thirty years.

  1. Conviction: Beliefs that are firmly planted in my heart will determine what I do with the resources in my hands.
  2. Compromise: Values count. If I compromise my values, I will lose my promise. It is the values I hold that ultimately take me to my place of promise.
  3. Character: Who I am in private speaks louder than what I project in public.
  4. Control: I am responsible for the outcome of my life. I cannot blame God, Satan or people. I must take charge of my thoughts, actions and pursuits.
  5. Change: Change is inevitable. To be on the right side of change, I must expect it, plan for it, create it, manage it and respond to it.
  6. Connection: An experience from one area of life could be valuable in another area if I learn to link and apply the principles.
  7. Conformity: Short cuts could offer nothing but quick fixes; and quick fixes expire quickly. I must seek to align my life, work and ideas to best practices.
  8. Competition: I am not on earth to be better than somebody else. I am on earth to reach my God-given potential. By setting myself in competition with others, I lower the standard.
  9. Conception: Vision is life’s best tour guide. If I want to see something with my eyes, I must first see it with my mind.
  10. Calling: I am not on earth by accident. God designed me for a specific assignment. It is the discovery and fulfillment of God’s assignment for my life that will give me satisfaction in life.
  11. Confidence: The level of my success in life will never exceed the extent to which I believe in myself.
  12. Choices: The choices I make determine the actions I take. My actions produce the results I see. I must learn to choose wisely.
  13. Comprehension: Without understanding, I cannot be effective. Pursuing the right knowledge will enable me to operate with understanding. Knowledge is power.
  14. Competence: To produce quality, I must perform with relevant knowledge, requisite skill and right attitude.
  15. Commitment: The only way to benefit from the things that are important to me is to devote my time, effort and money to them.
  16. Consistency: What I do daily determines who I will be tomorrow. To see my dreams materialise one day, I must work on them daily.
  17. Complacency: So long as I am alive, there is no point of arrival. No matter what I achieve, there will always be something more to strive for. The day I say I have arrived will be the beginning of my end.
  18. Conflict: The battles I face are indication of the booty that lies ahead. Champions are produced only after battles are won.
  19. Comportment: If I am gentle, I can control my emotions and temper; I can conduct myself in dignity in the face of provocations; I can manage my anxieties wisely.
  20. Composure: Attitude is everything. My posture at the point of success will determine how long my success will last.
  21. Compassion: The best way to show my love for others is to empathize with them; not to judge them.
  22. Collaboration: It is not possible to succeed without people. People come in many forms – business partners, sponsors, bosses, subordinates, customers, family, friends, mentors and fans. Relationships are critical to my success. To succeed with people, I must love them, respect them, forgive them, serve them and help them.
  23. Charisma: I may not appeal to everybody but I certainly appeal to the people God has called me to influence.
  24. Crying: It is better to release my pain through my tears than to hold it in and suffer in silence.
  25. Candor: Honesty is the best policy. Telling a lie under any circumstance is a serious breach of my honor, dignity and conscience. Speaking the truth wisely and graciously is the best way to keep my integrity intact.
  26. Communication: My ability to receive and transmit facts, figures and feelings will determine what I get in life and what I give to my generation.
  27. Clock: Time affords me space within which I can pursue and fulfill my aspirations. If I manage time wisely, it is most likely that my life will turn out pretty well.
  28. Completion: When I begin something worthwhile, I must endeavor to finish and do so remarkably. Things done half way do not generate substantial rewards.
  29. Christianity: The best way to live is to submit to the person, principles and power of Christ.
  30. Contentment: Gaining everything in the world and losing my soul makes my life fruitless. True satisfaction comes by securing my soul in Christ.
  
             © 2014 Terry Mante
             CEO, Personal Development Network (PEDNET)
             Accra, Ghana
             Tel: +233.267.186.420


No comments:

Post a Comment